Peterborough 1 Brentford 1 Despite a promising first half performance that suggested Brentford would leave London Road with the full compliment of points, Barry Fry's Posh denied their visitors with an 84th minute strike following a much-improved second half showing. The result could have been very different however, had a bizarre goal by Darren Powell not been disallowed, writes Robert Trand.

The controversial incident occurred in the first half after Peterborough keeper Tyler had safely collected the ball following a Bees attack. The home keeper then launched his clearance kick straight into the back of the retreating Powell. The ball ricocheted off the unknowing defender and into the back of the net for what appeared an unlikely, yet legitimate goal. However, referee Danson missed the event and rather than point to the centre spot, awarded a free kick in Tyler's favour, much to the relief of the home suppport.

Brentford started the match brightly, full of confidence after Tuesday's victory over Cardiff. As early as the second minute, the ball fell to the feet of Dobson who crossed to Owusu at the backpost. Owusu rose and powered an effort at goal that Tyler did well to tip onto the bar and over for a corner.

The Bees continued to play well, with the home side hardly threatening at all. The visitors' goal finally came three minutes before the break and was Owusu's 15th of the season. Having picked up a loose ball, he side-stepped a challenge from Simon Rea before firing past Tyler.

The second half was a very different affair from the first as the Bees sat back and allowed the Posh back into the game. Darren Powell appeared unnerved by the poor playing surface and the Brentford midfield drifted into anonymity. Owusu worked tirelessly up front, but his striking partner, Ben Burgess, failed to make an impact.

A foul by Powell gave the home side a chance from a dangerously positioned free kick, but Paul Smith produced a fantastic save at full stretch to deny ex-West Ham reserve, Jimmy Bullard. Peterborough had several other chances that saw Farell miss a good chance from just two yards, after Powell had lost possession, and Paul Smith was required to produce another fantastic save when he deflected the ball over from a Forsyth shot.

Posh finally found what was a deserved equaliser after their second half performance when Joseph smashed a powerful shot on target. Sidwell ducked down and headed the ball high into the air, as the young keeper Smith went to collect he appeared to be impeded by McKenzie, however play continued and the ball was fumbled into the back of the net.

Thus, what had looked so promising at half-time ended in a disappointing draw for the Bees. Nevertheless, it is not all doom and gloom for the west Londoners. This was Brentford's 11th point out of a possible last 15, continues the unbeaten sequence and keeps the Bees in the play-off spots at fifth in the table.

Brentford: Smith P, Anderson, Ingimarsson, Powell, Evans, Mahon, Owusu, Dobson, Hunt (Gibbs 87), Burgess, Sidwell. Subs: Julian, Rowlands, McCammon, O'Connor.