Brentford have kicked off their preseason campaign with a victory as they ran out comfortable winners against AFC Wimbledon at the Kingsmeadow.

Will Nightingale’s error enabled Marcus Forss to break the deadlock before new signing Christian Norgaard and Ollie Watkins added the second and third late on.

The Bees will play four more preseason fixtures, with Ukrainian giants Dynamo Kyiv up next, before they host Birmingham City on the first day of the Championship season.

Thomas Frank was without many of his star players as he turned to Romaine Sawyers, Sergi Canos and Henrik Dalsgaard for the first 45 minutes.

The Dons started brightly and threatened to take an early lead when Paul Kalambayi’s header glanced just wide of the post.

Mitch Pinnock delivered a teasing early cross into the box but Kwesi Appiah failed to hit the target with his effort.

Despite Brentford finding themselves under some real pressure, the hosts couldn’t convert their chances. Emiliano Marcondes’ strike from distance barely tested home goalkeeper Nathan Trott.

And Adam Roscrow would nod wide of goal, courtesy of Nesta Guinness-Walker’s cross, in one of several opportunities for Wimbledon all half.

Frank made a raft of changes at the break, replacing the entire team with substitutes that included Ollie Watkins, Rico Henry and Josh Dasilva.

Wimbledon again went close to drawing first blood, when Anthony Hartigan’s dangerous cross flashed past goal, though it was Brentford who took the lead.

After Nightingale failed to clear his lines from a booted clearance, substitute Forss raced onto the loose ball before cutting inside and tucking it away on 56 minutes.

The momentum had clearly shifted in Brentford’s favour but strong saves from shot stopper Nik Tzanev denied them from doubling their lead earlier on.

He was equal to Dasilva’s effort before the former Brentford trainee did brilliantly to deny Watkins.

However, soon enough, the Dons’ resistance was broken. Norgaard, who signed from Serie A side Fiorentina in May, popped up at the back post to double the Bees’ lead on 82 minutes.

Brilliant combination play from Watkins and Henry saw the third go in not long after, but a terrible miss from Forss let Wimbledon off the hook.