At the end of the day Park were out-fought by a team fired-up by the knowledge that defeat would almost certainly mean relegation.

Park’s cause was not helped by the late withdrawal of prop Paul Doran-Jones and an early injury to flanker Arthur Ellis.

Playing with a strong wind at their backs and down a slight slope Park got off to the worst possible start. A poor clearance led to pressure and from a lineout the Caldy pack easily drove the visitors backwards for scrum half Jake Squirrel to claim the try. Winger Ben Jones converted for 7-0 on three minutes.

Park soon settled and came back playing the better Rugby. Ellis wrested possession, Park won an attacking lineout and a pass from Dan Laventure put winger Benji Marfo in for a try in the right corner. The angle and wind defeated Lound’s conversion attempt, but he was on target with a penalty on 16 minutes to give Park the lead at 8-7.

That followed a dazzling run by full-back Russ Weir that was only stopped by a tackle from an offside position by home flanker Harrison Crowe that saw him sent to the sin bin.

Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Park soon took advantage of the reduced numbers, a lovely piece of skill by centre Oli Grove sending Marfo in at the right corner again to stretch the lead to 13-7.

Caldy had nearly as much possession as did Park, but the visiting defence now looked impregnable. However, they conceded a penalty that allowed Jones to reduce the arrears to 13-10 on 23 minutes.

Park continued to look the better side. A kick up the wing by centre Harry Leonard nearly put Marfo in for his hat-trick but the wind caught the ball and defeated even his pace. However, Caldy’s constant in-your-face harrying and committed tackling induced errors that prevented Park adding to their score.

A three point margin looked decidedly dodgy as Park came out to face the wind after the break. Caldy were now really fired up and took the lead on 49 minutes when winger Nick Royle charged down a clearance and Jones converted for 17-13.

Jack Gash was outstanding in probing for openings all over the field, but Park were plagued with handling errors when a score looked likely.

On the hour Caldy prop Rob O’Donnell got on the end of a catch-and -drive to get over the line, Jones converting for 24-13.

Park were far from out of it and with six minutes to go replacement hooker Adam Bellamy got on the back of a catch-and-drive move, Leonard’s conversion bringing Park within four points at 24-20.

Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Park pressed for the win but were again undone by handling errors and with two minutes remaining, following a lineout, home centre Mike Barlow went over to land a 4-try bonus point for Caldy and sent the home supporters berserk in celebration. Jones added a conversion for 31-20.