Epsom clinched the Surrey & Hampshire League One title with a 2-2 draw against Bournemouth, their closest challenger.

Needing a draw or better from their final fixture Epsom started strongly, with Joe Lazell and Brett Hosken switching possession calmly at the back and Jack Marfleet looking lively in the centre.

Epsom created several early chances and on 15 minutes the dynamic Will Hunt fired them ahead after some decent play down the right.

Bournemouth looked a constant danger on the counter-attack through a strong, quick centre-forward and James Tuck made a few alert stops to see Epsom 1-0 up at half-time.

Epsom continued to generate a lot of possession at the start of the second half, forcing a string of fine saves from Bournemouth’s keeper from both open play and penalty corners. Eventually, some neat work from Paul Atkinson and Nico Orr played in George Hunt to fire home for 2-0.

Bournemouth started throwing more forward but Epsom worked hard and Lazell in particular was superb at shutting down attacks early.

Bournemouth’s centre-forward forced a couple of fine saves from Tuck, who then bravely carried on through an injury.

With the final 10 minutes approaching nerves understandably set in and Bournemouth threw everything forward.

With 7 minutes to go Bournemouth snapped up a rebound to make it 2-1, and with just two minutes to go the visitors converted a fine short-corner flick for 2-2 to set up a grandstand finale.

The tension was by now almost unbearable, but Epsom held out solidly to set off jubilant scenes around Old Schools Lane.

This was a strong season with a hardworking side finding a winning formula through tough defence and some clinical counter-attacking hockey seeing 78 goals scored. The side has a really fun mix of players with a lot of youth coming through at the club; they will be looking to recruit to support a campaign back in the South League. If anyone in the area would like to try a new club, with a great atmosphere, please contact Menscapt.hockey@epsomsportsclub.co.uk