Brentford extended their unbeaten run to seven games with a hard fought 0-0 draw against Rotherham United but their day was soured by a serious injury to centre forward Nathan Elder and a possible knock to goalkeeper Ben Hamer.

The powerful striker was brought on for Jordan Rhodes just past the hour mark and offered a new dimension to the Brentford attack but his afternoon was cut short after less than 20 minutes on the pitch.

Elder went up for a high ball with Rotherham's barrel-like central midfield player Pablo Mills and the home side's captain appeared to catch him with an elbow.

The Bees' striker was stretchered off and manager Andy Scott confirmed afterwards Elder had been taken to hospital.

Scott said: “Nathan Elder is in a bad way, that's his season over.

“It looks like he has fractured his cheek bone, hopefully not his eye socket too, but it looks that way.

“It looked like an elbow caught him but I will reserve judgement until I have seen a video.

“It was a strong challenge but if it was an elbow it is cause for concern.

“He might need a plate in his face and some restructuring of his eye socket, that won't be a short time.

“Ben Hamer has gone in the ambulance too, he has a problem with his chest.

“It has soured a good result, it was a fantastic team effort at a tough place to come.

“This place [The Don Valley Stadium – Rotherham's adopted home] is not good for football, there is hardly any atmosphere.

“I'm glad we got a point, but gutted for Nathan.”

The Elder incident was pretty much the only talking point of a rather dour game.

Defences ruled the afternoon and a tight pitch, which threw up some awkward bounces, coupled with a strong wind combined to prevent either side attacking with purpose.

Brentford came closest to scoring with a fierce Sam Wood shot which was tipped round the post by Rotherham goalkeeper Andy Warrington.

Rhodes also had a good chance after he was found by a John Halls free kick but his shot was weak and Warrington saved.

Hamer denied Mark Hudson early on and also saved well from Drewe Broughton, who wasted a good opening when he headed a Jamie Green cross over from close range.

The home side's best chance came when Broughton beat Hamer to a high ball on the edge of the box, the ball rolled inches wide while the Brentford goalkeeper was pole-axed, picking up the injury that caused his post-match hospital visit.

Elder headed over, Marvin Williams had a low shot saved while at the other end Hamer saved from Jamie Clarke and Alan Bennett blocked well from Micky Cummins.

But neither team ever really looked like scoring which was not surprising considering Rotherham has kept four clean sheets in a row before the match and Brentford had conceded just one goal, a penalty, in the same time.

Scott said: “It was a game of few chances, we knew it would be.

“We are delighted to get a point, we would have like three.

“We had a couple of chances but neither side created clear chances, it was a game for defences.”