The driver of a 4×4 that ploughed into a school in Wimbledon in July last year, killing two eight-year-old girls, will face no criminal charges.

The driver had an epileptic seizure at the wheel before crashing into The Study Prep School, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Following the advice from the CPS, the driver has been informed that no further action will be taken against her.

The investigation is now complete and a file will be passed to the Coroner ahead of inquest proceedings.

The driver of the car, Claire Freemantle, has expressed her “deepest sorrow” and said she had “no recollection of what took place” after losing consciousness because of an epileptic seizure at the wheel.

In a statement to the PA news agency, she said: “Since I became aware of the terrible event that took place on July 6, the devastating consequences for all those affected have not left my thoughts and will be with me for the rest of my life.

“I have since been diagnosed as having suffered an epileptic seizure with loss of consciousness. This was not a pre-existing condition. As a result of losing consciousness I have no recollection of what took place.

“I can only express my deepest sorrow for the families who have suffered such dreadful loss and injury.

“As a mother, I understand there can be no words that adequately express the pain and loss resulting from what happened in those horrendous moments while I was unconscious.

“My heartfelt sympathy goes out to all of the children and families affected, and especially to the parents of Nuria Sajjad and Selena Lau.”

Detective Chief Superintendent Clair Kelland, in charge of policing for south west London, said: “This was a deeply tragic incident, the circumstances of which caused widespread shock and sadness.

"The families of Nuria and Selena – who we know are greatly loved and missed – are always in our thoughts, but particularly so in light of this development.

"Throughout the course of this investigation they have been supported by dedicated family liaison officers.

"Those officers were present earlier today when the outcome was relayed to the families by the CPS, and they will continue to support them in any way they can going forward.

"I previously met with both families and have offered to meet them again should they have unanswered questions about the investigation following this outcome.

"Following a lengthy, detailed and complex investigation, a file of evidential material was passed to the CPS for them to consider whether charges were appropriate.

"Having carefully examined all of the information received, they have now confirmed the driver will not face charges. Significant enquiries carried out by specialist officers into the events leading up to the collision established that the driver suffered a previously undiagnosed seizure which caused her to lose control of the vehicle.

"Having carried out a detailed examination of her medical records we know that she couldn’t have predicted or prevented the incident.

“The consequences of this were, as we know, absolutely devastating, and the hurt and pain that followed will always be deeply felt.

"I can understand that some may be confused - perhaps even feel let down - by this outcome, and want to give every reassurance that our officers worked tirelessly through every detail of the incident to ensure a complete investigation be passed to the CPS.

"To bring charges in cases like this there needs to be an element of responsibility on the part of the driver, and, given the circumstances, this was simply not borne out on this occasion. What happened that day was a very tragic accident which has had a profound impact on the lives of a number of people.

“While our priority has been to support the affected families – including the further six families of those who received injuries - we have also remained in close contact with both the school and local council representatives throughout, updating them on the timeline of the investigation while maintaining the integrity of our enquiries.

"We are grateful for their support and know they understand that it was of paramount importance to ensure the most thorough investigation be undertaken for the sake of all those involved. In the days and weeks ahead we will identify opportunities to speak directly to the local community who we know were also deeply affected by the incident.”