A West London nightclub near the bridge where dad Reece Newcombe was stabbed to death has been temporarily shut down. 

The Met Police claim there had been “serious failings” by Viva in Richmond and there will be a full hearing to decide whether its licence should be removed next week.

Mr Newcombe, 31,  was stabbed with a piece of glass during a fight on Richmond Bridge in the early hours of November 26. 

Viva, where police claim the alleged killer visited before the incident, had its drinks licence temporarily suspended on December 6 after an emergency meeting.

Ross Hamilton, 32, of Wood Lane in Isleworth, has been charged with murder and common assault.

A second man, aged 28, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and bailed until early January. 

Met Police documents submitted to the council, asking for Viva’s licence to be temporarily suspended, say: “After reviewing the crime the police licensing team have noted serious failings by the venue on the night in question and believe that the premises have failed to uphold the licensing objective namely the prevention of crime and disorder.

“As such, the Metropolitan Police are seeking a summary review of the premises licence and respectfully request that the licensing sub-committee suspend the licence pending the full hearing.” 

Richmond Council’s licensing sub-committee temporarily suspended the club’s premises licence on December 6.

Council documents showed the committee had “concerns regarding the failings of the SIA door staff” and that “the suspect and alleged assailant had been in the club prior to the incident”.

The club’s licence has been in place for 37 years with no history of issues involving the police. The venue has also been cooperating with the police.

The documents said: “The police acknowledged that the premises licence holder was cooperating with them, but investigations were ongoing.

"The licence holder’s representative indicated that his client did not oppose the application, and the premises were voluntarily closed in any event and would remain closed until the full review hearing.

“His client needed to further investigate what took place during the early hours of the date in question, particularly, the actions and deficiencies of the licence holder’s SIA door staff but requested that the sub-committee take into account the premises’ long trading history with no concerns having been raised by the police previously.”

The licensing committee will decide whether to strip the licence completely at the hearing on December 20.

Mr Newcombe worked as a boxing trainer and was “dedicated” to helping kids in Hounslow stay away from street crime.

A close friend described him as “the most loved man in West London”.

More than 2,000 people joined a memorial walk through Richmond in tribute to the dad-of-one on December 4.

More than £121,000 has been raised to help his young daughter.

Viva was contacted for comment