Bees chairman Martin Lange is pictured surveying the damage after a blaze at Brentford FC's Braemar Road club in 1983. Brentford FC maintenance man Alexander Banks was fast asleep under the stand when Mrs June Bowles, wife of midfield player Stan Bowles raised the alarm at 11.30pm on February 1. More than 60 people were evacuated from their homes during fire which wrecked the main stand of Brentford Football Club. It was estimated to cost more than £150,000 to put right the damage but would not seriously affect future matches said a spokesperson. It was thought that the fire was started from an electrical fault in the boiler room. The fire destroyed 800 seats, many of them new, also the visitors' changing room, kit store and laundry underneath the stand. A new kit had to be purchased for the next day's league visit to Newport County. Martin Lange said Supporters' overwhelming response was a "real morale booster".