Two men have been found guilty of the murder of Nathan Mitra in Hounslow last year.

Nathan Mitra, 32, was stabbed and killed in the early hours of July 30 last year while attending a gathering at Clements Court in Hounslow.

After a three-week trial, Mohammad Butt, 22, and Kalid Abdi, 26, were found guilty of his murder today (Monday, June 21).

The court was told how Abdi and Butt had arrived at the flat in Clements Court to meet Abdi’s girlfriend. A small group was gathered there, including Nathan.

Phone messages used as evidence during the trial "showed Abdi to be a jealous and controlling individual", police said, who was "annoyed that his girlfriend was in the company of others".

The police statement continued:

"Almost immediately after entering the flat, Butt stabbed Nathan and tried to attack others who were present. Nathan managed to flee from the scene but succumbed to his injury a short distance away.

"Both Abdi and Butt tried to evade justice by fleeing the UK to Norway within 72 hours of the attack."

Richmond and Twickenham Times: Mohammad Butt (Met Police)Mohammad Butt (Met Police)

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) also commented on what happened following the guilty verdict. 

As a spokesperson described:

"Abdi and Butt had spent the evening in a Twickenham pub. Abdi had been in constant contact with his girlfriend who was out socialising and having drinks with friends.

"He had demanded to know where she was and with whom – even asking her to hold up her phone in a video call so that he could see who was there, and urging her to leave having spotted other men at the gathering.

"Only 10 days before, Abdi had expressed his distrust of his partner and told her: 'Know u been linking other guys anyway so watch now.' He added: 'I only cared for you but you went behind my back…so you will have to suffer the consequences b***h.'"

Richmond and Twickenham Times: Kalid Abdi (Met Police)Kalid Abdi (Met Police)

Subsequently UK and Norwegian authorities collaborated to bring the pair to trial in the UK.

Emma Currie, from the CPS, said: "This was a shocking and sudden outbreak of chaos and violence at what had originally been a relaxing and enjoyable gathering.

"Kalid Abdi was furious his girlfriend had been out and about in the company of other men. It was his jealousy combined with Mohammad Butt’s willingness to use a knife on a complete stranger that led to a loss of an innocent life. Together their actions resulted in devastating consequences.

"The prosecution case included mobile phone evidence and CCTV footage which showed Abdi and Butt’s chilling demeanour before and after the murder.

"Our thoughts remain with the family and friends of Nathan Mitra at this time."

Detective Inspector Matt Read, on the Met's Specialist Crime Command, meanwhile described the attack as "senseless":

"This was a senseless attack on an innocent man with young children and his whole life ahead of him," he said.

"I’d like to thank the jury for diligently considering the evidence during what was a lengthy trial.

"I would also like to pay a huge tribute to Nathan’s family who have had to listen to the details of the case and the lies advanced by the defendants.

"They have remained steadfast throughout and I hope that these convictions go some way to bringing them a degree of resolution."