A cyclist who died after being hit by a dustcart during the morning rush hour did not stop at give way lines, an inquest has heard.

Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Tributes: Flowers at the scene of the accident

Henry Lang, a 40-year-old IT specialist, was riding along the cycle path on the A316 towards Richmond Circus when the accident happened on July 21 last year. He died a day later in hospital. 

From July 21 2014: Cyclist airlifted to hospital after lorry crash on Richmond Circus

Mr Lang, who was described as a "passionate cyclist", cycled across the give way lines of the cycle path at the junction with St John’s Grove to continue his journey, an inquest at West London Coroner’s Court heard on Monday, April 20.

He was then hit by a dustcart as it turned into St John’s Grove and senior coroner Chinyere Inyama told the court Mr Lang was run over by the rear wheels of the vehicle.

The driver of the dustcart stopped at the scene and Mr Lang was airlifted to the Royal London Hospital, but doctors were unable to save him.

A post-mortem examination found Mr Lang died of "multiple traumatic injuries".

A report by the serious collision investigation unit found no evidence to suggest the driver of the dustcart should be prosecuted in relation to Mr Lang’s death.

Reading from the report, Mr Inyama said: "Mr Lang did not stop at the give way lines and was not aware of the lorry until it was right in front of him."

Mr Lang, of Lyndhurst Avenue, Twickenham, had recently got engaged and celebrated the occasion with a barbecue days before the accident.

In a statement, Mr Lang’s brother William, said: "We cannot say whether he used the cycle path on the A316 as a rule.

"We know [of] nothing that may have caused him to be distracted on his journey.

"He and Hannah had just got engaged and were looking forward to a happy future together."

The inquest heard Mr Lang had bought his bicycle in August 2013 as part of the ride to work scheme and it was fully service at the start of 2014, but had frequently suffered from punctures.

At the time of his death, he was working at Photobox in west London and cycled to work most days.

Mr Inyama concluded Mr Lang died as a result of an accident.