Murray Park in Whitton was formally opened on 1st May 1914 at 5pm precisely.

It came about following fears of a housing boom threatening to swallow up the tiny hamlet of Whitton long before the massive inter-war development created what we know today as Whitton & Heathfield.

The 10 ten acre site once formed part of the Whitton Park estate created by the Third Duke of Argyll and it was here that he built a country estate for his mistress and their illegitimate son.

The last of the landed gentry, Colonel Edward Gostling-Murray, used the ground to train his volunteer regiment and as a pleasure ground. Following the outbreak of War in August 1914 the Colonel's old firing range was used to prepare young men for France. The full story can be found on the Twickenham Museum website: and there is an exhibition of pictures and artefacts in the Museum starting this week. Opening times are: Tuesdays & Saturdays 11.00 - 3.00 and Sundays 2.00 - 4.00.

Based on information supplied by Ed Harris.