Brentford's hopes of winning promotion to the Championship were dashed as they lost 2-1 to Yeovil Town in the League One play-off final at Wembley on Sunday.

Brentford face another season in League One after the Somerset side took a two goal lead during the first half, and despite pulling one back early in the second half, the Bees came up short.

Yeovil took the lead after only six minutes when Sam Foley's shot cannoned off Shaelum Logan and was picked up outside Brentford's box by Patrick Madden, who fired a right-footed shot past Simon Moore into the left hand corner.

Harry Forrester looked to provide a spark for the Bees, cutting in from the left on several occasions, but failing to threaten Yeovil's goal.

After winning a free kick on the left touchline, Forrester floated a free kick to the back post, where it was easily taken by Marek Stech.

Adam Forshaw then tried his luck from 20 yards, the ball deflecting off a defender and into the hands of Stech.

Minutes before the half time break, Foley displayed great pace as he attacked down the left wing, his cross into the six yard box hooked behind by Tony Craig.

From the resulting corner on the left Dan Burn's header at the back post found it's way though the defence and across the line, despite Logan's efforts to stop it.

Brentford's best chance of the half came when Jake Bidwell crossed from the left and Marcello Trotta's well-placed header was saved by Stech.

Richmond and Twickenham Times: Harlee Dean pulled one back for Brentford but it was not enough

Harlee Dean pulled one back for Brentford shortly after half-time

The Bees pulled one back five minutes after the break, Harlee Dean's powerful header from a Forshaw corner on the right flying past Yeovil's keeper.

With Brentford on the front foot an early corner from the right was met by the head of Clayton Donaldson, and scrambled clear a yard from the line.

After Forshaw picked the ball up in midfield he exchanged passes with substitute Sam Saunders, before shooting straight at Stech.

Toumani Diagouraga tried his luck down the left, but his cross come shot was met by the hands of Stech. Minutes later Bradley Wright-Phillips swivelled and shot at Stech from 12 yards out.

With just minutes left Logan collected a thrown on he right and shot inches wide from just outside the box.

Brentford: Moore, Logan, Dean, Craig, Bidwell; Forshaw, Adeyemi, Diagouraga (sub Hayes 82), Forrester (sub Saunders 67); Trotta (sub Wright-Phillips 62), Donaldson

Subs (not used): Gounet, Hodson, O'Connor, Douglas

Attendance: 41,955

Man of the Match: Harlee Dean

Goals: Dean 51

Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Bee minus: Brentford fans were left wondering what might have been

Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Reaction from Brentford manager Uwe Rosler:

"Very tough to take we didn’t deserve it, especially when you see the second half. 

"We had them on their knees but couldn’t find the cutting edge to get the second goal. Hopefully, we can keep our squad together.

"This team in hungry anyway, today first half a little bit nervous. Those players had never played in a stadium like that.

"The first shot on our goal is a goal. Then they defend very well and it makes your life difficult.

"It was a great finish for the first goal. Second goal is unacceptable and a very bad moment for us, we should do much better."

"This club has not been at the level for decades, it doesn’t matter what happened today, this squad have lifted the club to a higher level.

"To not make that last step is very hard for all of us but we will use this as motivation and we will fight next year for promotion again now.

"What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger."

Were you at Wembley today? Did you think Brentford deserved more from the match? Have your say by leaving a comment below or email us.