Carshalton Athletic recorded back-to-back league victories for the first time this season when they beat Lewes 1-0 on Tuesday night.

An own goal on 38 minutes was enough to separate the two teams at Colston Avenue and the Robins are now inching closer to those above them in the relegation zone, although they remain 10 points from safety.

Tonight, the Robins go to Billericay Town for their third game in six days, and boss Stuart Massey goes with a level head despite the unprecedented double win.

He said: “The lads have improved over the last six games overall and I think things are falling into place, but there is still a lot of work to do.

“We were good against Lewes and no-one could have argued had we gone into the break two up.”

Massey was alluding to a penalty Carshalton won two minutes after taking the lead, but Billy Dunn’s strike was saved.

“Billy told me that was first penalty he’s ever missed,” the manager added.

“Some people queried why didn’t Tommy Bradford take it, but it was nothing to do with me. It’s all irrelevant now anyway.”

It was Bradford’s cross which was headed into his own net by Lewes defender Jay Lovett however, before a Robins' solid defensive resolve after the break.

Massey said: “The second-half was more representative of how teams win football matches. We showed a willingness to dig in and help each other out. Ultimately, if every player does their part you'll get positive results."

After Billericay, Carshalton host fellow strugglers Thamesmead Town on Saturday and any positive result from the trip to Essex will make the game against Thamesmead even more crucial, particularly as the Robins will have three games in hand over their east London counterparts.

“We go into these next two games with confidence, plus we’ll have some fresh legs as three players complete suspensions,” added Massey.

“I wanted us to at least win our two matches at home this week. I’m confident more points will follow if we keep our performance levels up.”