Brentford emerged victorious from their vital London derby after a Marcello Trotta goal gave then a 1-0 win over Leyton Orient at the Matchroom Stadium on Saturday, writes Simon Webster.

After going ahead on the stroke of half time, they were forced to do it the hard way after James Tarkowski was sent off only four minutes into the second half.

But during an outstanding second half effort with ten men, the Bees held firm and even struck the post in injury time.

The result moved Brentford up to second in the table and - with League One leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers being held to a surprise draw by struggling Shrewsbury Town - only a point off the summit.

In the early stages Alan Judge crossed into the six yard box from wide on the left for Brentford, while for Orient Kevin Lisbie and David Mooney combined, with the latter firing over the bar.

Brentford then scrambled the ball clear from inside their six yard box after a corner from the left, while a minute later Dean Cox fired wide of the left hand post from 25 yards out.

After Adam Forshaw lost possession in midfield, Tarkowski conceded a free kick on the edge of the 'D'.

Gary Sawyer kept his shot low and it cannoned off the wall to safety.

Clayton Donaldson burst through onto an early ball and with his first touch steered the ball past Eldin Jakupovic, but without enough pace to reach the goal.

A little flick from Lisbie set up Cox to the left of the box, and his low shot was well saved by David Button.

A quick break by the Bees began when Judge broke down the right and after the ball was switched to the left, it came back to the midfielder, who shot over the bar from 20 yards.

The Bees took the lead on the stroke of half time.

Alan McCormack's cross from the right was met by the deftest of touches from Forshaw into the path of Trotta, whose composed finish from the edge of the box beat Jakupovic at his near post.

The Bees nearly doubled their lead in the opening minute of the second half when Donaldson crossed from the right and Trotta's shot was blocked.

The game took a potentially decisive turn when Tarkowski was sent off only four minutes after the break for a rash challenge on Romain Vincelot, which earned him his second yellow card.

It didn't take Orient long to threaten, when first Cox fired a free kick from a dangerous position into the wall and then McCormack headed the follow up effort behind for a corner.

Orient put Brentford's goal under severe pressure, with several chances in quick succession, the best bringing a great close range save from Moses Odubajo by Button.

With minutes remaining Orient won a corner on the left and McCormack was perfectly positioned to head the ball off the line.

In added on time Forshaw released Judge, whose shot cannoned off the near post.

Brentford: Button, McCormack, Tarkowski, Craig, Bidwell; Douglas, Judge, Saville; Forshaw, Donaldson, Trotta (sub, Dean 50).

Subs (not used): Lee, Grigg, Dallas, Reeves, Yennaris, Adams.