Jamie Slabber’s late equaliser completed a dramatic Sutton United comeback from 2-0 down in wet and wild conditions on the south coast.

Buoyed by their recent FA Trophy quarter-final win, Gosport dominated possession in the first half and scored twice in seven minutes to lead 2-0 with half-time approaching.

Then came the game’s crucial moment - seconds before the break, Sutton midfielder Lee Sawyer swung over a dangerous corner and captain Simon Downer headed it powerfully home to give his team the momentum going into the second half.

It had all been going so well for Gosport. After failing to turn possession into clear-cut chances in the opening half-hour, they were awarded a penalty on 33 minutes.

Sutton’s Alex Wynter pushed former Sutton striker Andy Forbes to the ground and Sammy Igoe smashed the resulting penalty high into the net.

Six minutes later, a poor goal kick from Sutton keeper Jason Brown was controlled by Gosport midfielder Mike Gosney, who took a couple of touches before shooting low into the corner of net from 25 yards.

With the wind behind them in the second half, Sutton took control.

Just five minutes in, Damian Scannell outpaced Brett Poate on the right and was brought down on the edge of the area but referee Chris Powell ignored claims for a penalty.

Sutton striker Jamie Taylor twice forced good saves from Gosport keeper Nathan Ashmore and substitute Gavin McCallum drilled a shot just wide from 20 yards.

Eventually the Sutton pressure told - the wind caught hold of an attempted clearance by Gosport defender Ian Richardson and blew it towards the goal.

The alert Slabber ghosted in and headed the ball home to make sure his side returned to south London with a point.

Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Forward thinking: Kane Haysman

Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Careful: Lee Sawyer

Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Hitman: Jamie Slabber

Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Joy unabound: Jamie Slabber is a happy man after levelling at Gosport Borough