Joint boss Paul Barry hailed nine-man Hampton & Richmond Borough's fighting spirit in defeat, but was not impressed with his side's indiscipline after strike pair Dave Tarpey and Charlie Moone saw red on Saturday.

The pair both got their marching orders in the first half as the Beaver slipped to a 2-1 defeat to end a run of three straight Ryman Premier League wins.

Tarpey went for an alleged stamp on 17 minutes, while Moone  with his side already 2-0 behind - followed him to the dressing room on the stroke of half time for foul and abusive language towards referee Chris O'Donnell.

Tommy Brewer struck in the 64th minute to give Hampton some hope, but Lowestoft held on to leave Barry thinking of what might have been. 

"Discipline has not been good enough in recent games," he tweeted on Saturday night.

"We need to keep 11 on the pitch to stand chance of achieving anything.

"It was an amazing effort from the nine to stay in the game against a side looking for promotion."

The game did not start well for the Beavers as Lowestoft took the lead on 6 minutes.

A long ball into the box was half cleared by Stuart Lake, but the clearance fell at the feet of Robert Eagle who easily volleyed into an empty net from 15 yards.

Lowestoft's keeper Ashlee Jones had to be alert 10 minutes later as Moone clipped a neat ball into Tarpey's path, whose shot was tipped wide.

On 17 minutes, Hampton's Tarpey was involved in a challenge as he chased for the ball, in the Hammond's corner.

The challenge looked robust and he appeared to take offence.

In his frustration, he appeared to stamp on the defender, Stuart Ainsley, and after a bout of pushing between the two teams, referee O'Donnell dismissed the striker.

The Trawlermen then took the game to the Beavers with Jake Reed being the main threat, twice forcing man of the match Rodney Chiweshe to produce good saves to deny the striker.

However, just before half time, the Trawlermen won a corner on the Hampton right, Chris Henderson was able to stoop unmarked to nod the ball past the helpless Chiweshe.

The Beavers were clearly getting frustrated with the referee and  Moone said one thing too much in first half stoppage time and he was sent from the field for what was thought to be 'foul and abusive language'.

An immediate change at the start of the second half saw Ben Harris brought on in place of Jack Barton, to provide an attacking outlet, and the nine men settled into their task of not getting over-run.

The Jake Reed versus Rodney Chiweshe dual continued in the second half with the Hampton keeper stretching to tip away a shot by the Lowestoft striker.

Just after the hour, Hampton grabbed a lifeline as a Tommy Brewer free kick from some five yards inside the Beavers half deceived Ashlee Jones and landed into the top corner.

Some would say there was an element of luck, but Brewer clearly meant it and the goal was worthy of a bigger stage than Beveree.

With just over 10 minutes left, Chiweshe exceeded his previous efforts as he once again threw himself to his right to palm clear another Reed effort.

Five minutes later, Chiweshe had to dash out to deny Eagle with a point blank save as the midfielder broke through.

Just as 90 minutes were almost up, James Simmonds brought down Eagle in the area. Jake Reed stepped up to take the penalty kick, but Rodney Chiweshe chose right and blocked the shot and also saved Eagle's follow up attempt to deny the Trawlermen.

Reed must've wondered what he had to do to beat the keeper, but it was clearly Chiweshe's day.

As added time was starting, Ben Harris chased a long ball right into the near corner, amazingly Lowestoft keeper Ashlee Jones came out to prevent him making anything of it. 

As Harris wriggled clear close to the corner flag and with the Lowestoft defence frantically getting back, Jones pulled him down.

Although some thought a third dismissal was the order of the day, the referee decided to only caution the keeper.

The resulting free kick was flighted in well by Joe Turner, and Harris rose highest at the far post, but his header was off target and well wide.

There was still time for Rodney Chiweshe to complete his day as Ross Jarvis fired in a stinging shot that the keeper had to launch himself, again to his right, to push away to safety.