Bees manager Mark Warburton refused to be downbeat after his Brentford side conceded a 90th minute equaliser to draw 1-1 with Shrewsbury Town at a windswept Greenhous Meadow on Saturday, writes Jeremy Martin.

In-form Italian striker Marcello Trotta struck his seventh goal in his last nine appearances to give his side a 1-0 lead just past the hour mark.

But the Bees were unable to hold on as Tom Eaves struck a late thunderbolt to steal grab a share of the spoils and leave Warburton in philsophical mood.

"That's football, isn't it?" he said.

"You have to compete and I thought we had a good second half.

"We got the lead we wanted, but credit to both teams. They kept battling away and it was an outstanding goal to draw level.

"It's one of those things. We'll learn from it and move on."

In atrocious conditions where wind and rain held sway all afternoon, little quality football was on display.

Brentford made two changes from Tuesday night’s victory against Bristol City, with Harlee Dean returning for his first game in a month at the expense of Kevin O’Connor and new signing from Arsenal, Nico Yennaris replacing the Aberdeen-bound Shaleum Logan.

Adam Forshaw’s second half return from the bench will also encourage Bees fans as the side strives for promotion to the Championship.

An even first half ended goalless as the weather dominated proceedings, Bahrudin Atajic went closest for Shrewsbury after 18 minutes while Marcello Trotta had four good chances for Brentford at the other end, none of which he was able to convert.

Shortly after the break new signing Nico Yennaris picked up a dead leg and was replaced by Adam Forshaw with Alan McCormack reverting to the right back role to accommodate Forshaw in midfield.

The Bees, ever creative, had their opportunities as Alan Judge, Forshaw and the hard working Jonathan Douglas all missing opportunities to give their side the lead.

The relentless Jake Bidwell excelled in both defence and attack, but Brentford could not convert the final ball to take the lead.

Shrewsbury Town were dangerous on the attack and last man Tony Craig was repeatedly called upon to deny the Shrews as they pressed again and again in an effort to reward their new manager Michael Jackson, following the resignation of local hero Graham Turner.

However, this game was no thriller for the travelling Bees fans, who were grateful for referee Mark Heywood’s benevolence when he adjudged that Alan Judge was brought down in the area by Ryan Woods and awarded Brentford a penalty.

Trotta failed to convert from the spot, but the keeper’s parry fell to Trotta who slammed the ball into the empty net.

With less than a minute remaining Brentford looked to have secured a valuable three points, but Shrewsbury pulled level when striker Tom Eaves pounced after Craig failed to clear a high ball and sent a looping shot into the top of Brentford's net.

Brentford: Button; Yennaris (sub Forshaw 50 mins), Dean, Craig, Bidwell; McCormack, Douglas, Saville; Donaldson, Trotta (sub Akpom 78 mins), Judge (sub Grigg 83 mins).

Subs (not used): Lee, O’Connor, Reeves, Dallas, Grigg, Akpom.