Nathan Morris admits London Welsh were out to get their own back against London Scottish at the Richmond Athletic Ground on Saturday.

Having lost twice to Scottish already this season, Welsh were not short of motivation in the build up to their round six British & Irish Cup clash and their 21-18 victory ensured Justin Burnell’s side avoided a third straight loss to their Exile rivals.

Welsh’s Championship defeat to Scottish at the Kassam Stadium on December 21 had particularly stung.

“We had a point to prove,” said London Welsh hooker Morris.

“It was hanging over our heads all week and training had an extra bite.

“We had a really physical full on contact session in mid-week. We’d lost twice to Scottish, they’re our local rivals and we couldn’t have them going 3-0 up on us.”

However, when Scottish full back James Love landed the last of his six first half penalties to see the home side take an 18-3 lead it seemed as if Welsh were indeed on course for a third defeat.

“We kept making the same error three or four times and with a kicker like that they punished us all first half with six brilliant kicks. We’ve just got to be more reactive and listen to what we’re being told,” said Morris, who is on a season long loan from Wasps.

“You’ve got to listen to the referee and do what they say, and unfortunately we didn’t respond well enough,”

Tom May’s try just before half-time reduced the deficit and Welsh made good use of the break to make some adjustments, which paid dividends in the second half.

“To be fair we didn’t come out all guns blazing, we were missing that extra pass and we panicked a bit in the first half,” he added.

“But we regrouped at half–time and we knew that if we went through our phases we’d get some results, and we did that in the second half.

"We saw the breakdown was an issue for us in the first half so when it wasn’t on we left it and we had a great line of defence. We were just more street smart in the second half.”

Welsh chipped away at the Scottish lead through two Will Robinson penalties but were then rewarded for turning down another kickable penalty to instead go for the corner.

A well worked catch and drive saw Morris force his way over for the winning try and his second in Welsh colours – the first coming against Bedford Blues at Allianz Park on the opening weekend of the Championship season.

“Will was kicking really well but we got the call to put it in the corner. We’d been practicing our drills all week and we knew if we got it right we’d have a few good options and it worked. Great calling and great execution from all the lads,” said Morris.

“I think I’ve got an aggregate of five metres carried for both tries. That was a really good lineout drive – the boys set it up really well - and all I had to do was dab it down over the line.

“We needed to build momentum for this really tough section. We’ve got Leeds, Plymouth and Rotherham next, and as long as we’re winning and putting in the performances we’re happy. If we keep putting in performances we’ll get results.”