Rosslyn Park tore up the record books on Saturday with an awe-inspiring display of committed running rugby and sheer physical power to trounce Cambridge 104-5 and stay in touch with the National League One leaders.

The poor visitors were simply swept aside, wreckage floating on a flood-tide of red-and-white shirts, as Park racked up the highest score in their 133-year history.

Hugo Ellis enjoyed his highest scoring match since his school-days running in seven tries, while Charles Broughton added four more.

Matt Heeks, Harry Rowland, Dom Shabbo, Luke Campbell and Craig McGrath also got on the scoresheet, while Sam Katz kicked 12 conversions.

The writing was on the wall in the very first minute when full-back Nev Edwards sent winger Broughton away to score in the corner, fly half Katz converting for 7-0.

The Park forwards had a clear edge in strength and power and nearly sent Ellis in but for a knock on, but the visitors simply could not resist and number eight Hugo Ellis crashed over in the corner for 12-0 on 11 minutes.

Three minutes later and it was Broughton in again, Katz converting for 19-0.

Then the ever-dangerous Broughton again made good ground, and a fine angled run from Katz brought a penalty. Park opted for the scrum and drove over for Ellis to touch down for the four-try bonus at 24-0 after only 18 minutes.

Had it been a boxing match the referee would probably have intervened there and then to save Cambridge from further punishment such was the gulf between the two sides.

A great move involving Ellis and Edwards saw scrum half Heeks go in three minutes later, Katz nailing a good conversion for 31-0.

Park swept back onto the attack and caught Cambridge offside in their own 22. Opting for the scrum, Park twice drove the visitors back at speed, only to be stopped by an illegal intervention.

The referee had little alternative but to send visiting prop James Palmer to the sin bin and Park drove over the reset scrummage as if unopposed, giving Ellis his hat-trick after only 28 minutes and bringing up 38-0 after Katz’s conversion.

There was no letting up as four minutes later the giant number eight powered over to grab his fourth, Katz again adding the extras for 45-0.

A super break by flanker Campbell brought no reward when the ball was knocked-on, but Park simply out-powered Cambridge off their own ball and skipper Rowlands got over – injuring himself in the process - to bring up 50 before Katz kicked the conversion.

As the interval beckoned, Edwards launched another searing attack up the right and found Broughton outside him who soared in to complete a first-half hat-trick for 57-0 at the break.

Fair play to Cambridge, they tried everything to take the game to Park in the first five minutes of the second half, but when Park wrested the ball they launched another telling incursion up the right and then found Ellis inside, who galloped to the line and Katz’s conversion brought up 64-0.

Three minutes later, Ellis was on the charge again, putting away Heeks and eventually centre Shabbo recorded the score, making it 71-0 with the conversion.

Cambridge really tried, but it just got worse when a minute later Edwards fielded the ball close to his own try-line and launched a devastating counter-attack, Shabbo playing a prominent role before Broughton finished it off out wide and Katz nailed an incredibly difficult conversion for 78-0.

Still Cambridge tried, and when they won a penalty just inside the Park half hammered the ball to touch into the home 22 to their left. Winning their own ball, they cleverly worked it across the field for winger Patrick Tapley to score a fine try to show what his side might have been capable of had they been allowed to play.

Park replied almost immediately with another devastating burst up the right involving winger Dave Vincent and Katz, but it was stopped for a foot in touch.

Park forced a penalty, opted for the scrum and back-seat driver Ellis stole the sweets as they drove over, Katz converting for 85-0 on 56 minutes.

Park returned to the attack and were forced to defend smartly when Cambridge nearly broke with an interception.

But it was normal service resumed when another super attack involving Vincent and Ellis saw hard-working flanker Campbell crash over, Katz converting for 92-5.

Another great attack saw replacement flanker McGrath go over on the left, before – inevitably – a great solo run by Ellis brought his seventh try and the 100 up for Park. Katz converted for 104-5 and the referee showed a degree of mercy by blowing for time very slightly early.

Park travel to Coventry this weekend.