Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8744 4260
Then and now - Isleworth
This photograph of Pears Fountain and drinking fountain is taken from Andrea Cameron’s pictorial history, Hounslow - Isleworth, Heston & Cranford. The fountain was erected at the junction of London and Spring Grove Road, Isleworth in 1899 as a gift from Andrew Pears, owner of Pears Soap Works on the London Road. The photograph was taken in around 1935 and the fountain was removed in 1937 after Heston Fire Station, right in the modern picture, was built. The older view shows a telephone box in the background, right of the fountain, with two small children waiting outside, although there doesn’t seem to be anyone occupying the kiosk. A sign affixed to the lamp post pointing towards Hounslow, proclaims the electricity showroom.