Toddler strangled by blind cord

Richmond and Twickenham Times: Alexandra Lucy Hoegh was pronounced dead at St Mary's Hospital Alexandra Lucy Hoegh was pronounced dead at St Mary's Hospital

The two-year-old daughter of one of Britain's richest men died after becoming tangled in a blind cord in her bedroom, an inquest has been told.

Alexandra Lucy Hoegh died in her top-floor room at the family's four-storey luxury home in west London's Notting Hill last October.

The inquest heard the toddler was found by her nanny Melinda De La Cruz when she went to wake her from an afternoon nap while her mother Dana Hoegh chatted to a friend, Catherine Mathiesen, downstairs in the kitchen.

Alexandra, who was three weeks from her third birthday, was given mouth to mouth in the street by her mother as they waited for an ambulance.

Westminster Coroner's Court heard how she and Ms Mathiesen were found by police crying hysterically in the street as paramedics fought to revive the youngster.

Mrs Hoegh told the inquest the Filipino nanny - who had trained in childcare in her native country but did not complete the course - had arrived late for work at 1.50pm. She took over from her mother Andrea, who cleaned and helped nanny for the Hoeghs, apologised to Mrs Hoegh and then went upstairs to get the toddler at around 2.10pm.

"A couple of minutes after that we heard a scream, then another scream," Mrs Hoegh told the inquest. "We went to the door of the kitchen and met Melinda with Alexandra. She was blue. She was not breathing." Alexandra was taken to St Mary's Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 3.17pm.

Alexandra's father Morten Hoegh, 39, is the chairman of Hoegh LNG - a multi-billion pound oil and gas shipping company based in Norway. He runs the business between London and Oslo and appears on the Sunday Times Rich List with an estimated fortune of £175m.

Coroner Dr Fiona Wilcox recorded a verdict of accidental death. Dr Wilcox said she would write to the Health and Safety Executive, asking it to talk to blind manufacturers about putting warnings on their products.

Giving a cause of death as asphyxiation caused by hanging, Dr Wilcox said Mrs Hoegh was "extraordinarily brave" to give evidence.

More national news stories

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree