Salon vows to re-open on Monday after Twickenham fire

Richmond and Twickenham Times: Fire: Beyond Skin in York street was damaged Fire: Beyond Skin in York street was damaged

A beauty salon in Twickenham caught fire last night after a carelessly disposed cigarette set alight to the back door.


Two men in their 30s were treated for smoke inhalation following the small fire in Beyond Skin in York Street.


Family and friends were rallying together today to clean up the fire damage, in a defiant bid to re-open by Monday.


Firefighters were called at 9pm after residents living in flats above the salon noticed smoke billowing from the back door of the property.


The fire damaged a very small part of the ground floor, but firefighters were able to prevent it from spreading to the flats above and any of the treatment rooms.


A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “Always make sure your cigarette is completely extinguished before throwing it away. We see a lot of fires which could have been prevented if someone had been a bit more careful with a cigarette.


“Homes and businesses can be badly damaged or even destroyed by a cigarette fire, so please be careful.”


The two men treated were residents living above the property, but there was no confirmation they were responsible for the incident.


A spokesman for London Ambulance Service said: “We were called just after 9pm to reports of a fire in York Street. We sent one ambulance crew, an officer and members of the hazardous area response team.


“Our staff treated two patients reported to be men in their thirties for smoke inhalation. No one was taken to hospital.”


About 20 firefighters from Kingston, Twickenham and Heston fire stations attended the scene. The fire was under control by 9.25pm.


Owner of Beyond Skin, Ilona, said: “We will be back open by Monday. We are cleaning up the damage today and got here at 6.30am this morning.


“All five members of staff are here to help clean up.”


The salon is offering a 10 per cent discount to any customers that book appointments this week when mentioning the Richmond and Twickenham Times.


The incident is being treated as an accident, so police will not take the matter any further.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:50am Sun 2 Sep 12

Scott Naylor says...

I met the owners yesterday. What a great example to looking after their clients that all the staff have pulled together andvhave totally redecorated the salon inside and scrubbed the place from top to bottom to rid the black smoke marks and smell everywhere. Incredible that the intense fire was contained so quickly by quick acting tenants above with a hose pipe who were hugely at risk themselves. The front window cracked from just the heat retained in the smoke which permeated the building. So lucky too to limit the water damage to the rear. Now just reinforces not to be careless with cigarette butts disposal as likely cause of fire, such a small ember maybe lit some wood shavings or a tiny scrap of paper and this was two peoples' lives above and six peoples' employment livlihoods plus their dependants all at risk!
I met the owners yesterday. What a great example to looking after their clients that all the staff have pulled together andvhave totally redecorated the salon inside and scrubbed the place from top to bottom to rid the black smoke marks and smell everywhere. Incredible that the intense fire was contained so quickly by quick acting tenants above with a hose pipe who were hugely at risk themselves. The front window cracked from just the heat retained in the smoke which permeated the building. So lucky too to limit the water damage to the rear. Now just reinforces not to be careless with cigarette butts disposal as likely cause of fire, such a small ember maybe lit some wood shavings or a tiny scrap of paper and this was two peoples' lives above and six peoples' employment livlihoods plus their dependants all at risk! Scott Naylor

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree