A beauty salon in Twickenham caught fire last night after a carelessly disposed cigarette set alight to the back door.

Two men in their 30s were treated for smoke inhalation following the small fire in Beyond Skin in York Street.

Family and friends were rallying together today to clean up the fire damage, in a defiant bid to re-open by Monday.

Firefighters were called at 9pm after residents living in flats above the salon noticed smoke billowing from the back door of the property.

The fire damaged a very small part of the ground floor, but firefighters were able to prevent it from spreading to the flats above and any of the treatment rooms.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “Always make sure your cigarette is completely extinguished before throwing it away. We see a lot of fires which could have been prevented if someone had been a bit more careful with a cigarette.

“Homes and businesses can be badly damaged or even destroyed by a cigarette fire, so please be careful.”

The two men treated were residents living above the property, but there was no confirmation they were responsible for the incident.

A spokesman for London Ambulance Service said: “We were called just after 9pm to reports of a fire in York Street. We sent one ambulance crew, an officer and members of the hazardous area response team.

“Our staff treated two patients reported to be men in their thirties for smoke inhalation. No one was taken to hospital.”

About 20 firefighters from Kingston, Twickenham and Heston fire stations attended the scene. The fire was under control by 9.25pm.

Owner of Beyond Skin, Ilona, said: “We will be back open by Monday. We are cleaning up the damage today and got here at 6.30am this morning.

“All five members of staff are here to help clean up.”

The salon is offering a 10 per cent discount to any customers that book appointments this week when mentioning the Richmond and Twickenham Times.

The incident is being treated as an accident, so police will not take the matter any further.