A cyclist has raised concerns about one of Richmond Park’s busiest cycle route after a man died after falling from his bicycle earlier this week.

A 40-year-old man was taken in a critical condition to the Royal London Hospital by London’s Air Ambulance after the accident in Broomfield Hill at about 9.30am on Sunday, August 24, but died later that day.

No one else was involved in the accident and it is believed he lost control while coming down the hill and skidded on gravel.

The hill, part of a 1km route, has gradients from 4 per cent to 12 per cent and fast descents, with riders classing it as the most dangerous and difficult hill in the Royal Park.

Keen cyclist Rene Taylor, 40, from Raynes Park, said he came off his bike in the same spot five weeks ago and believed gravel played a part in his crash.

He said: "I was going to meet someone at the Richmond Gate and I went down and everything was fine and at the bottom where it bends, there is gravel which meant I wouldn’t be able to brake.

"I landed on the grass verge and the bike went behind me. Fortunately I was OK but I have been racked with guilt thinking I should have reported the gravel.

"That is the steepest hill in Richmond Park and as the bend goes round, you do pick up speed.

"I just think the roads could do with being cleared up a bit and the gravel taken away."

The Richmond Cycling Campaign (RCC) group has also spoken out about the condition of roads within the Royal Park.

Tim Lennon, from RCC, said: "[We are] deeply saddened to hear of the death of a cyclist in Richmond Park and our thoughts are with the victim's family.

"We do regularly hear about incidents in Richmond Park, whether involving cars, bicycles, or pedestrians, and we're keen to work with the Royal Parks to understand the circumstances, and whether this has lessons to be learned for how we all use the park and its facilities.

"In particular, it may be that the Royal Parks need to look at the state of the road surface at the edge, where more cyclists tend to be."

The man’s next of kin have been informed and officers from the Metropolitan Police Royal Parks Command Unit continue to investigate.

A Royal Parks spokeswoman said: "At the moment this is still a police matter so we have nothing further to add."