Barnes residents are waging a poster campaign against property developments in Charles Street.
The posters, made by the residents’ group SOS Barnes Little Chelsea, urge neighbours to object to two planning applications. Several applications for developments in the area have been submitted by the same developer since 2011.
The applications propose the demolition of lock up garages and a car repair garage for the development of new properties.
Almost 150 online objections have been posted on one of the applications.
Steven Mindel, chairman of SOS Barnes Little Chelsea, said: "If the developments go ahead Little Chelsea will face two years of chaos. Charles Street will not be able to cope with the sheer amount of soil being excavated."
Mindel went on to say: “If Barnes needs more housing it needs more affordable housing and these properties are not going to be affordable.”
A spokeswoman for the town planning consultancy behind the applications said they were aware of the posters.
The spokeswoman claimed that the designs on the posters were “not what had been submitted to the council”, but “early design iterations used for the purposes of a community consultation event”. According to the spokeswoman, several revisions had been made to the consultancy’s approach to the development as a result of “constructive feedback”.
The spokeswoman went on to say: “We cannot stress enough how seriously we take concerns [of potential disturbances during construction] and are committed to working with the local community to keep them updated and engaged throughout the development process.”
Zac Goldsmith, MP for Richmond Park and north Kingston said: “Each time this application is rejected, the developer returns with something very similar, despite very widespread local opposition. I am hoping it will be rejected yet again.”
A decision is due to be made on August 12.