The judge in a mass brawl trial which ended in the death of student Patrick Lawless has told the jury to put sympathies out of their mind.

The jury was reminded of the violent disorder that started outside the Royal oak pub in Teddington on November 10, 2012.

In his summing up, Judge Nicholas Price read statements from witnesses including onlookers describing the brawl as “scary, crazy and violent”, “a mini riot” and “five minutes of madness that exploded out of nowhere”.

Footage from an iPhone was replayed in court numerous times during the trial at Kingston Crown Court.

The fight saw Scott Clutterbuck sustain serious injuries after he was hit over the head with a crutch and his friend Kieran Newport required stitches.

Patrick Lawless, a 20-year-old student who was described by friends as sometimes being “hyperactive” and “in your face”, was punched by his childhood friend Patrick Conway in Field Lane.

Judge Price said: “As he lost his life that evening there will be obvious feelings of sympathy towards him and his family but however difficult it is you must put aside those feelings of sympathy because it may stand in the way of objective assessment.”

Patrick Conway, 22, of St John’s Road, East Molesey, denies one charge of manslaughter and admitted one charge of violent disorder after he punched Mr Lawless in Field Lane and caused him to slump to the floor. He was celebrating his 21st birthday on the night.

Inigo Anderson, 21, of Queenswood Avenue, Hampton, faces one charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm after he punched Mr Lawless in the face outside the Clockhouse pub, the court heard.

The defence case is that the men were acting in self defence. Four other men pleaded not guilty to violent disorder.

They are Max Mears, 19, of Temple Sheen Road, SW14, Ben Axelrod, 26, of Station Approach, Epsom, Edward Thompson-Membury, 22, of Pollard Street, E2 and 20-year-old Callum Hurley, of Fulmer Close, Hampton.

James Hales, 22, of Rectory Grove, Hampton, pleaded guilty to two counts of grievous bodily harm and violent disorder.

The trial is expected to finish this week, when the jury will retire to consider its verdict.