Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8722 6328
Teddington pub shut after mass brawl ends in murder inquiry
A pub where the mass brawl was alleged to have broken out has been temporarily shut down.
Richmond Council decided to suspend the licence for the Royal Oak pub, in Teddington High Street, so further safety measures could be put in place at the venue.
The pub was due to remain shut until Tuesday, November 20, but when it re-opens it will have to comply with extra measures imposed by the council until a full licence review hearing can take place.
These include a reduction in opening hours on Friday and Saturday nights and employing two door staff.
The council said the case would be reconsidered within the next four weeks and the pub may face extra restrictions or even have its licence revoked.
Richmond police borough commander Chief Superintendent Clive Chalk offered his thoughts and condolences to the family of Patrick Lawless.
He said there was no indication that the incidents were pre-planned or gang-related or that weapons were used, but said extra police patrols would be put in place in Teddington.
He said: “Alcohol appears to have played a part in these dreadful events.
“There will be a wide ranging review of all the licensed premises in that area to re-enforce appropriate legislation and to help ensure that everyone who lives or visits Teddington can do so safely and without fear.
“This is as a direct result of Saturday’s events, as prior to this there was no information or intelligence available to indicate the nature of a problem of this scale.”
Councillor Pamela Fleming said she was pleased the pub’s licence had been suspended.
She said: “Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of all our residents is of paramount importance.
“The committee has taken a measured response to the police request, reflecting the needs of the community at large.”
Comments are closed on this article.