HISTORY OF THE RICHMOND & TWICKENHAM TIMES
- 1873 - Founded by Edward King (aged 26).
- 1874 - Frederick William Dimbleby joins (aged 20).
- 1875 - Syndicated pages dropped. RTT printed entirely in Richmond.
- 1875 - FWD marries.
- 1876 - Steam engine acquired
- 1875-76 - Successful campaign run against Sunday mail deliveries.
- 1878-80 - Successful campaign for free library.
- 1880 - New machinery installed to cope with increased circulation.
- 1880 - First Richmond & Twickenham almanack produced.
- 1885 - Thames Valley Times founded.
- 1891 - THT outsells RTT as midweek edition.
- 1891 - Edward King's wife dies.
- 1891 - Edward King has nervous breakdown.
- 1894 - Edward King declared insane.
- 1894 - FWD buys company and resigns as Richmond councillor after four years.
- 1895 - FWD founds Chiswick Times.
- 1895 - Robbie Robson joins Chiswick Times.
- 1901 - Gas engine installed.
- 1905 - FWD goes to America.
- 1907 - FWD dies aged 54.
- 1907 - Frederick Jabez Dimbleby becomes editor.
- 1907 - Percy William becomes Managing Director. Resigns 01/09/52
- 1921 - Folding machine installed.
- 1922 - New works built.
- 1923 - 27 ton Cossar flatbed installed.
- 1939 - Cossar replaced by Crabtree.
- 1943 - Frederick Jabez Dimbleby dies at his desk aged 67.
- 1943 - Tommy Bishop becomes Editor.
- 1945 - Bishop dies at his desk and Ernst Selworthy becomes Editor.
- 1946 - Richard Dimbleby takes over as managing director and Editor in Chief.
- 1953 - Reg Ward appointed Editor.
- 1964 - Front page advertising dropped from RTT.
- 1964 - Barnes, Mortlake and Sheen Times launched.
- 1965 - Richard Dimbleby dies (aged 52).
- 1966 - David Dimbleby becomes Managing Director (aged 29).
- 1976 - Reg Ward retires and Malcolm Richards takes over.
- 1978 - Thames Valley Times closed
- 1979 - Acquired The Wandsworth Borough News.
- 1983 - Isleworth added to BCT title.
- 1983 - Printing transferred to Nottingham.
- 1986 - Harry Lorraine appointed Managing Director.
- 1987 - First issues produced by direct input.
- 1987 - (Sept.) Hounslow, Feltham and Hanworth Times Launched.
- 1991 - (Sept.)Wandsworth Borough News subbing transferred to Richmond and Malcolm Richards takes over as Editor.
- 1994 - (Apr.) Kingston, Surbiton and New Malden launched.
- 1994 - (May) Putney and Wimbledon Timeslaunched.
- 1996 - (Apr.) Printing moved to Portsmouth.
- 1997 - WBN subbing goes back to WBN with KSMTand PWTeditions edited by David Wilson.
- 1997 - (5th Sept.) Battersea News launched.
- 2001 - (1st July) Newspaper group sold to Newsquest (London) Ltd., a subsidiary of Newsquest Media Group Ltd., a Gannett Media Company
- 2001 - (September) Mark Lewis joins Richmond and Twickenham Times series as publisher.
- 2003 - (April) Malcolm Richards retires after 27 years, the country's longest serving editor
- 2003 - (April) Paul Mortimer takes over as editor.
- 2004 - (April) Mark Lewis leaves Richmond to take up a position working with the Regional MD Roger Mills.
A History Of Richmond
Richmond upon Thames is a picturesque London Borough with some of the most beautiful rural surroundings to be found in the capital. World renowned attractions such as Hampton Court reflect an
illustrious and royal history, and literary figures like Walter De La Mare and Virginia Woolf, artists and composers from Turner to Holst, have made their mark on the area's colourful past.
For over 800 years courtiers, artists and statesmen have built their palaces and beautiful houses; have planted trees and laid out colourful gardens, helping the borough retain the look and
feel of the country. The Borough also has a number of Blue Plaques, marking the homes of such famous figures as Gustav Holst, Arthur Hughes and Henry Fielding.
When Henry VII built a fabulous Royal Palace beside the River Thames he named it Richmond after his favourite Yorkshire earldom. Situated midway between Westminster and Windsor, Richmond
Palace found particular favour with Elizabeth I and was a Royal residence up until 1650. Prior to this new name the site was known as Shene, a royal manor of the Plantagenets. Richmond
possesses a timeless charm more akin to a village. Richmond Green, once the scene of tournaments and pageants, is surrounded by gracious period houses. Richmond Bridge, the oldest spanning
the Thames, sits alongside a riverside development which evokes memories of the 18th and 19th centuries. The view from the top of Richmond Hill, a source of inspiration for artists and poets
throughout the years, is protected by Act of Parliament. From here Ham
House, an outstanding Stuart House filled with rare 17th century furniture and textiles, is visible slightly up river. Below, the River Thames flows through an ocean of trees with the
occasional rowing boat or passenger craft wending its way upstream. Beyond the hill lies the 2,500 acre Richmond Park,
enclosed by Charles I as a favoured hunting ground, where large herds of red and fallow deer wander.
The Surrounding Areas: Twickenham
With a proud history dating from Neolithic times, Twickenham heads for the millennium as the internationally recognised home of English rugby
union. As the fashionable retreat from court life, elegant country houses were built and homes established. Twickenham was the 18th century equivalent of Beverley Hills, popular with the
foremost artisans. Henrietta Howard, mistress of George II, had Marble Hill House built for her and regularly entertained the greatest poets and wits of the day.
Both Horace Walpole and Alexander Pope left their mark on Twickenham: Walpole's gothic fantasy at Strawberry Hill and Pope's Grotto. The waterfront consists of historic buildings, wharves and
a footbridge link to Eel Pie Island, famous for Rolling Stones concerts there. A riverside stroll uncovers beautiful gardens and open spaces, the York House garden sculptures and the Baroque
Octagon Room of Orleans House Gallery.
The Hamptons and Teddington
Although his father and later his daughter preferred Richmond as their Royal residence, Henry VIII cast envious eyes at Cardinal Wolsey's palace taking shape at Hampton Court. Seeing his sovereign's displeasure, Wolsey offered the magnificent palace to Henry, in an unsuccessful attempt to curry favour.
Five of Henry's wives lived here at some point; Anne Boleyn honeymooned at Hampton Court during its construction. William III and his Queen, Mary, had Christopher Wren build additions to the
Tudor palace and landscape the surroundings. Nowadays the overwhelming grandeur of Hampton Court's 1000 rooms, Royal Art Collection, formal gardens and yew maze never cease to impress and the
Great Vine and recently restored Privy Garden should not be missed.
Either side of the Palace are Bushy Park and Home Park, both former Royal hunting grounds where herds of deer wander at
will. Bushy Park was the base for General Eisenhower when planning the D-Day operation in 1944, and Home Park welcomes thousands of visitors during the July Flower Show. Actor David Garrick
was a Hampton resident, building an ornate temple to Shakespeareat the foot of his garden. Garrick's Temple is to be
renovated following a successful lottery bid. River Thames boat trips from Hampton Court to Kingston and beyond to Richmond pass through Teddington Lock. A footbridge across the lock from Ham leads to Teddington village where, housed
in a French gothic style former church, the Landmark Arts Centre is based and hosts concerts, art and craft fairs and
exhibitions. Barnes Wallis, the inventor/scientist developed the bouncing bomb at the National Physical Laboratory and Errol Flynn began his film career at Teddington Studios. R D Blackmore, author of Lorna Doone, also lived in the area.
Kew, Barnes, Mortlake and East Sheen
Kew village retains all the charm of the eighteenth century when the Hanoverian Royal Family made it their home and painter Thomas Gainsborough is buried in Kew Church. The national archive
is also based in Kew where the Public Record Office holds 900 years of historical records, including the Domesday Book.
Moving east along the river is Mortlake, finishing point of the annual Oxford v Cambridge boat race, and where eccentric Victorian explorer Richard Burton is buried on a splendid tent shaped
tomb in the cemetery. East Sheen was also home to Whig Prime Minister Earl Grey. The 52 acre East Sheen common is owned by the National Trust . Nearby Barnes village was home to the composer Gustav Holst and novelist Henry Fielding. Barnes pond and common add to the traditional village feel complete with
ducks and geese.