Find by date
Other ways to search
Also look for
Hounslow and Brentford Times and Chiswick Times ceases publication
Today is the last edition of the Hounslow and Brentford Times and the Chiswick Times.
Historic: The Chiswick Times from 1910
After a lengthy review a decision has reluctantly been taken to cease publication of these editions of our weekly paper.
But you will still be able to keep up to date with the latest regional and national news, sport and leisure headlines on our website hbtimes.co.uk.
Or you can pick up a copy of the Richmond and Twickenham Times, which will still be on sale at outlets right across the borough. In fact, from next week an extra 10,000 copies of the Richmond and Twickenham Times will be distributed.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our loyal readers and advertisers for their support over the years.
Century of scoops
For more than a century the Hounslow and Brentford Times has brought readers the news that matters.
From its early days reporting events, including the death of King Edward VII and the national display of mourning to the recent elections, the paper has strived to serve its community.
The Chiswick Times, as it was originally known, was founded by Frederick Dimbleby. Its creation was partly born of necessity and is closely tied in with the history of its sister paper, the Richmond and Twickenham Times.
The RTT was established in 1873 by 26-year-old Edward King.
He appointed Mr Dimbleby the following year and gave him special responsibility for the Brentford and Isleworth area.
In 1875 a subsidiary title was added to the Richmond paper showing its expanded circulation area.
Fitting in the increasing amount of news and advertisements from its extensive territory was proving a problem. A year after Mr King’s family sold the Richmond paper to Mr Dimbleby – greatgrandfather of broadcaster David Dimbleby – the Chiswick Times was launched.
The first edition was published on March 29, 1895, priced one penny.
It remained at that price until WW1, when the cost of newsprint led to an increase to three-halfpence.
Until April 1927, Brentford and Chiswick were governed by separate authorities.
Their amalgamation on April 1 of that year – to form the urban district of Brentford and Chiswick – saw a change in the newspaper’s title.
The new Brentford and Chiswick Times had an expanded pagination and news service.
Severe rationing of newsprint during the Second World War led to a reduction in pages – and at one point a change in the size of the broadsheet – to a tabloid.
In the 1980s the paper’s title changed again, becoming the Brentford, Chiswick and Isleworth Times.
The paper celebrated its centenary in 1995 with a grand party.
The Hounslow, Feltham and Hanworth Times commenced publication in 1987 as a district edition of the main paper.
It was amalgamated into the Hounslow and Brentford Times in January 2008.
Two years ago the paper, one of the few remaining regional broadsheets, became a tabloid.
Reverting back to its origins, a separate Chiswick edition – the Chiswick Times – was also created.